Saturday, September 07, 2013

5 Days 4 Nights trip to Betong (Thailand) and Perak + Ipoh (Malaysia) [Part 1/4]

Together with the RC people, my family and I went to Betong (Chinese勿洞) for the very first time. Betong is located at the southernmost point of Thailand near the boundary of Malaysia. Below is a beautiful overview of this place that I took with my iPhone 5. 


When I first try to do research on this place, I get photos of this:


Udon Noodles! Silly me. 


It was only when we arrived and I saw the signboards and stickers on the cars that I realised that the place is spelled as Betong and not Udong.

  
We travelled by coach and from Singapore to Betong, it's about 12 hours ride away with a few stops for dinner in Malaysia and some toilet breaks in between.


This whole trip can be summarized in three words, EAT, PRAY, SLEEP. Other than this dim sum and bak ku teh breakfast that we paid ourselves, the rest of the meals we had for the trip were mostly those 8 courses meal from restaurant. Until the last day, I don't even have much appetite for it. 


After eating, time for praying. We went to this 慈善堂 or 林姑娘庙 to pray. Some of them donated a small amount of money to light the firecrackers which is believe to bring good luck. I spent the time watching the kids playing and taking videos of the firecrackers lighting up in process. It was so loud and it reminded me of one freak accident I've read somewhere that 2 India kids were burnt to death by the explosion of a huge firecrackers.  


The largest bronze Buddha statue in Thailand. The photos doesn't do justice to its beauty and magnificent. You have got to see it in real life. 


This is what you will see, if you climb up the stairs of the biggest bronze Buddha Statue.


Very serene and surreal. Great for meditation.  


Lunch.


After lunch, we checked into the hotel that we'll be staying for the night. 


The panorama view outside my hotel room's window. 


The cloudy view I got when I captured it from my bed, lying down. 


It's free and easy time, so we headed out to the street of Betong. If you are looking forward to a shopping trip here, thinking that things are cheaper, you will be in for a disappointment. There is really nothing much to buy here. In fact I think we went in less than 5 of the shops to take a look. 

  
Some roadside stalls selling snacks which we were too full to buy. Common sights here are wondering cats and motorists. 


So bored that cute kitten on the road we also catch to take photos with. Haha.


A replica of the largest mailbox. 


Went back empty-handed to our hotel for dinner.


My mum loves this antique clock found in the hotel's lobby. 


Dinner.


After dinner, we went out again, thinking that it would be livelier during night time. We ended up only buying ice-cream to eat at the 7-eleven. Didn't really dare to walk along the street at night because, the cables has turned into a resting ground for the birds!!! So we were really afraid of getting birds poo on our head. That's all for Day 1 in Betong. Stay tuned to my next post for Day 2. Cheers! 

2 comments:

GetaBlue said...

Hi. May i know waa it a straight bus frm sg to betong that you took. What company was the bus.

ChewyJas said...

Hi, we changed bus at Malaysia . I'm not sure which Company , it was organised by the Resident Committee . Thanks !