Saturday, June 14, 2014

Singapore Kindness Movement : 10 Things to do with one note + Kindness Cafe

Kindness Day SG 2014 may be over, but kindness never stops then. Even the smallest act of kindness can make a difference in someone's day. And sometimes it's the smallest gesture that may have the greatest impact on someone. 

Beside our residential home, the workplace is probably the place most people call their second home. So what can we do to make our colleagues' day a little better and happier? I've received this hanger with 10 different tips of kindness for workplace from The Singapore Kindness Movement (SKM) *THANK YOU* which I would like to share them here. So let's start to make a difference with a little bit of efforts. 


The post-it pad that comes together with the kindness hanger really arrives just in time. I was on leave for a couple of days and during my absence, I'm glad to have very supportive and kind colleagues around to cover my work for me. They are not paid extra to do my job but they still do it so I'm really grateful. I don't have to come back from my leave to see a big pile of work overloading on my table. 


So, I've decided to make use of the post-it pad to write some sweet thank you note for them. With the coloured ice-cream sticks that I bought previously and the stamp market I got from IKEA, I started to DIY my "Thank You paper flower". 


Here's the end result. Hope it does brings a smile to my colleagues' face.  

Picture Source : Singapore Kindness Movement Facebook
As part of the Singapore Kindness Movement (SKM)'s Kindness Day SG 2014 celebrations, a Kindness Cafe was set up. Patrons can look forward to getting discounted coffee fix when the order is placed with accompanying kindness. This mobile cafe aims to promote kindness through simple acts of courtesy which is particularly pertinent to the service industry.  

Picture Source : Singapore Kindness Movement
The Kindness Cafe was launched earlier on 26 May at Republic Polytechnic, and next set up at One Raffles Place from 9 to 11 June. Its final location will be at the National Library Board Atrium on 14 and 15 June 2014, which is tomorrow.

Picture Source : Singapore Kindness Movement
The Kindness Cafe operates on a simple system, the more courteous the order, the more discounted the price of the coffee. Each customer will receives a fortune cookie with a kindness message embedded on a slip of paper to go with the coffee and the first 100 customers for each day who express extra graciousness are also given a complimentary bread loaf each contributed by SKM's partner Gardenia. 

Picture Source : Singapore Kindness Movement

To further spread the kindness message, members of the public are encouraged to contribute uplifting messages for other patrons to read on the cafe's designated walls. Photos of the cafe can also be shared on social media platforms with the hashtag #kindnesscafe. 

 
Picture Source : Singapore Kindness Movement
The concept behind the Kindness Cafe is adapted from a similar idea in Nice, France where customers are charged extra for being ungracious whilst placing orders. To date, more than 350 cups of coffee have been sold at the Kindness Cafe. 


Ending my post with one of my boss's favourite quote that goes, "Blessed are those who give without remembering. And blessed are those who take without forgetting." Keep that in mind, thank you for reading!  

Other Interesting Read:

- Dr. William Wan's Blog (General Secretary of the Singapore Kindness Movement)  : http://wan.kindness.sg/ 

- Collections of random acts of Kindness : http://www.randomactsofkindness.org/kindness-ideas

No comments: