Saturday, April 17, 2021

[Informative] Recycling Initiatives in Singapore that I support

There are a few causes that I'm quite supportive of and one of which is building a sustainable future for Singapore. This is something I am more conscious of in my everyday life. The simplest reason being, no matter what is your status, how rich or how poor you are, we all co-exist on the same planet Earth.  

In this post, I will be sharing some of the recycling initiatives in Singapore that I actively participate in and is also something that I felt most of us can commit to. 

1. L'OCCITANE en Provence - Big Little Things

While many beauty shops has their own recycling program, L'OCCITANE Big Little Things recycling program which started on 1st April 2020 is the only one so far that accept full-sized beauty empties, from ANY brand! Do take note, however that only three outlets - ION Orchard, Plaza Singapura and Vivo City is capable to accept these beauty empties. 


Be sure to clean the inside thoroughly and dry them before bringing the empty bottles down. The staff do inspect every single bottles. I managed to accumulate 10 empty bottles before March this year and redeemed a Cherry Blossom Bath and Shower Gel. Visit this link for more information.


2. STEP UP SUSTAINABILITY APP (IG: @alba_singapore)

We've seen these blue recycle bins in our neighborhood but do you know you can also earn CO2 points when you recycle your items in the blue recycle bin? Simply download the Step-Up Sustainability app,  use this app through three simple steps - scan the QR code found on the blue recycle bin, snap a photo of the items you are throwing into the bin and collect CO2 points. Then use the points collected to redeem vouchers and prizes! 


In the past, when I lived with my grandparents, there will always be a stack of newspapers at one corner waiting for the Karung Guni (rag-and-bone) uncle to collect them from our doorstep. Now, we have to bring them to allocated cash-for-trash point. Glad that recently, my estate also had a cash-for-trash point so I can conveniently just bring a trolley down with my recyclable items.  

3. susGain App (IG: @susgain_singapore)

Another sustainability lifestyle app that rewards users with monthly challenges. I took part in the March challenge in which I visited the Sustainable Singapore Gallery for the first time and earned some points. I also updated the app with a water cooler station in Star vista that was not found in the app. With that, I won myself an EPIC Eco Tritan Water Bottle for being one of the winners. For their Cash-for Trash stations, it is a tie-up with Sembcorp but their recycling points are much further so I usually just go to the one nearer to me.

4. RecycleNSave - Reverse Vending Machines (RVMs)

Reverse Vending Machines has been around for at least one year. Previously, one can only earn NTUC rebates, now there's more reward choices such as CapitaStar points which I often select.  

 5. Carousell 

Carousell is one of the platforms that allows me to sell/trade unwanted things in my house. One man's trash is another man's treasure. Have been using this app since 7 years ago and recently I've started to post items for trade with criteria being to trade with me for something I will use. Interestingly, I received a packet of tissue, a pack of disposable masks and an unopened tissue box. At least, these are really the items that I will use.  

6. DBS/POSB Banks


I'm not sure why but I've got stacks of red packets here and there around my house which I can randomly find even months after Chinese New Year. I'm glad that this year DBS/POSB banks has red packets recycling boxes in their full-service branches throughout the year and not just during the Chinese New Year period. 

7. Daily Habits 


This is not so much of a recycling initiative but how our daily habits can plays a part too. First of which, we can start by using eco-friendly products, bring a recyclable bag for grocery shopping, sort out your trash and don't contaminate those items that can be recycled. These are some simple actions that we can do, aside that I must admit I do still use single time plastic like straws for that bubble tea, disposable diapers, disposable masks which brings a lot of convenience.  

I guess we are still pretty far behind in this area but every little bit of action helps. Together, let's work towards building a sustainable Singapore for our future generations. 

P.S. This post is done and published in conjunction to Earth Day which falls on the 22 April 2021. 


XOXO


No comments: