Sunday, November 09, 2014

Great Eastern Women’s Run 2014 Race Day

Despite the morning rain today, more than 15,500 women still spent their Sunday morning at the Great Eastern Women's Run. This was the largest turnout recorded for this year's edition of the Asia's largest all-women Run so far.


Photo Credit : Mark Teo / Great Eastern Women's Run
The Guest-of-Honour was Ms Grace Fu, Minister, Prime Minister's Officer, Second Minister for the Environment and Water Resources and Second Minister for Foreign Affiars also participated in the 5km Live Great! Fun Run and finishes the race in under 31 minutes!


Photo Credit : Mark Teo / Great Eastern Women's Run
Among the participants, 15 elite runners from four countries -- Nepal, Philippines, Singapore and Taiwan -- competed in the Elite categories for the prize money of USD 8,000.

Taiwanese Hsieh Chien-Ho emerged as the overall winner at this year's Run with a timing of 1:22:17 followed by Mary Grace Delos Santos from Philippines in second place with a timing of 1:24:21 and her compatriot Christabel Martes in third place with a timing of 1:25:32.


Photo Credit : Mark Teo / Great Eastern Women's Run
Commented Hsieh, "I think I started too fast early on and really only pushed myself at the last 9km or so. At first I thought I was not going to make it because I saw some of the other runners catching up but I am really very happy I made it first. The weather was perfect because it was cooling and the rain was not too heavy so I could still keep my focus. With this timing, I hope I can come back to Singapore and compete more often."

Singapore Elite Closed Category


Photo Credit : Mark Teo / Great Eastern Women's Run


A new category this year was the Singapore Elite Closed Category which was only offered to Singaporean and permanent resident elite runners. Participation was by invitation and runners were selected based on their past local races performances. A total of ten local elite runners vied in this category and Mok Ying Rong came in first, clocking in at a timing of 1:28:48. Rachel See came in second with a timing of 1:29:12, followed by Neo Jieshi with a timing of 1:31:32.

Photo Credit : Mark Teo / Great Eastern Women's Run
"I did not expect to win as I was contending with a very strong field, and I came with the aim of focusing on my race pace and trying to get a personal best, which I achieved a local PB time. This means I can motivate myself to do even better and challenge myself. I am really satisfied with my performance today and very honoured to be part of the Singapore contingent at this year's Great Eastern Women's Run 2014," shared Mok.

#RunToLiveGreat Programme

Another new initiative that was set this year is the #RunToLiveGreat programme. This was introduced to encourage non-runners to take the first step towards healthier and better living. 50 pairs of women was provided with a complimentary starter kit worth up to SGD$350 and over 5 months, they have to attend various training sessions, fringe activities and eventually completed the Run too. My friends Jessie and Tracy was in this too. Find out more in Jessie's post on this here. This is such a great initiative and I hope they will continue to have this initiative again next year. Would definitely participate in this. 

The Run and Post Run Activities


Participants ran past a few iconic landmarks including Gardens by the Bay, Marina Bay Sands, Merlion Park, Esplanade, Singapore Flyer, F1 Pit Building and the Sports Hub.

The Great Eastern Women's Run is the first, and only run to date, in Singapore to feature a female-only pacers team. 28 female runners were picked to joined the participants during the pre-run training sessions to encourage them from preparations to race day. 


Another unique feature to the Great Eastern Women's Run is the 'Live Great, Look Good' Powder Room, whereby finishers can take the opportunity to freshen up. Massage station providing complimentary massage was another welcomed feature. 


It was a sea of red at the Race Village which has a lot of activities to keep everyone entertained, including the families and supporters who were present to cheer on the participants. 


At the Live Great! Family Carnival Tent, there's activities such as an obstacle course for kids, bouncy castle, Nerf Blast Fest, Rainbow Loom-Making station and Medal-Making Craft station. This year, event organisers also brought in this Bubble Bump equipment for the family to have a fun time. A wide spread of food and beverage, including Nandos Chicken, hot dogs, muffins, fruits and drinks were also provided. 


I was there to support Jessie and Tracy who have conquered the race. The both of them even challenged to join the 10km race next year. Upon seeing their enthusiasm, I'm also motivated to join next year, but shall start with 5km first. 


The finisher medal. I must say this year's Great Eastern Women's Run was a very impressive one with lots of pre and post run activities. Good job to HiVelocity Events Pte Ltd the organiser of the Run and Great Eastern for this platform. 

No comments: