Saturday, February 09, 2013

Of Chinese New Year Challenges

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate Chinese New Year, I love Chinese New Year just as much as I love Christmas and all the other festivals. It's just that Chinese New Year always comes with its fair bit of challenges.

Before we can truly enjoy the festival, first of all we need to do the spring cleaning part. This is the biggest headache of all time as I have so many things that I can't bare to throw away. Unless the thing is spoil or broken otherwise it'll be with me till the end of time. For the past few days, I've been diligently sorting out my things, arranging them into different category. I've really tried my best but the store room is so full so there are still a few bags of things on the sofa. Spring cleaning allows me to find back so many lost memories. It's a good thing in a way, just that it takes a lot of time and energy and the hardest part is always the initial stage to get started. I believe that if I don't start sorting them out, they will remain where they are in the bags and I will forget that I've even have this thing. This year, I bought box organizer to separate out my things. I also used old pineapple tart boxes to put my bangles, watches, etc. It's neater and more organized this way. 


Secondly is gaining weight. With so many yummy goodies it's really hard not to put on some weight. Take for today, I have three places to rush to for reunion dinner. From Jurong to Clementi to Bugis. Eat three times. How not to be fat? Other than the dinner, there's still so many tidbits, the bak kwa, pineapple tarts, etc. Don't forget before we can eat, we still need to face the challenges of queuing and preparing the food! Just queuing for the bak kwa alone take hours. Every year, my boss will give us a pack of bak kwa to bring home. Every year, my mum would go and queue for the famous bak kwa too. Took her about 4 hours!



The third challenge is how to handle difficult questions relatives asked during visiting. It will always start with, "Eh, Jasmine ah, you this year how old liao?" Then I'll reply with my age. The next question is what they are dying to ask. "Oh, so when are you getting married?" If you've been asked this same question countless of time like I do. Don't worry, I've prepared all the answers basing on how you want to answer them. Take your pick.


Act Blur: "Hey, the Chinese New Year goodies very nice to eat leh, you want to try one? Divert the attention and walk away.
Curious: "How about you?" If that person is married, "Why did you asked?"
Funny: "Ah, I still want to collect more red packets la!"
Mean: "I'm cursed not to get married!"
Positive: "Coming Soon!" followed with a BIG grin to be convincing. Two words end it all. :)
Polite: "Hehe, when I get married I will surely invite you for my wedding okay?'
Superstitious : "Ohh, this year cannot get married leh, they say this year is the widow year. Not auspicious la.
Sarcastic: "Why you ask so much? You want to chip in or sponsor my wedding is it?"

The things to look forward to for Chinese New Year is not only the food, but also the long holiday. This year we have 4 days of leave. Time to spend more quality time with loved ones. I hereby wish everyone a Happy Chinese New Year!   


No comments: