Saturday, January 21, 2012

到牛车水逛年货市场 : Chinatown Chinese New Year Street Bazaar

NOTE: All the photos that I'm posting in this post are taken with my iPhone 4 and are after editing. Editing App used: Camera+. A handy and useful app for transforming photos into that of close to DSLR quality.


Okay, so it was the eve of the Chinese New Year Eve and there's no work today. Hooray! When I woke up, Mum asked me where I wanna go today. In my mind I was thinking of shopping malls like Far East Plaza or even Bugis. Places where I can get my Chinese New Year clothes but she seems to have a different place to go on her mind. So she started influencing me by saying things like, "Eh, you know the CT 28 is in service already leh. Very fast can reach Chinatown one." "You long time never go Hong Lim Complex there to eat already hor?" It's so obvious that she wanted to go there so I being quite easily influenced by others changed my mind to accompany her go Chinatown. Anyway, CT28 is just at the bus stop below my block. Talk about convenience! 



    Managed to capture a very nice and pink photo of the shop houses. It's just at one of the exit from the Chinatown MRT station. 



This year is the Dragon Year. To be precise, the Water Dragon Year. A lot of the stalls are selling cute dragon merchandise like this and also those Chinese New Year flowers and decorations. Out of all the 12 animals in the Chinese Zodiac Signs, only the Dragon is a mystical legend. Thus, expects lots of Dragon babies this year. 



Came across this interesting shop selling lots and lots of colourful chopsticks at $1 per pair! 



I found the one most relevant to me! ;)


After seeing all the stalls that are quite similar in the things they sell, I'm actually feeling bored. It was until I spotted this shop that I got my interest back. Wow. THE TINTIN SHOP in the middle of Chinatown. Haha. Really it was quite a surprise and rare find in this area. Quite a big crowds were attracted to go in too.



Me and Mum. Wow, this shop has all the things related to TinTin. From toys to paper bags. Cool. We didn't buy anything inside but just took photos. 



Stopped by to get some Thailand Coconut to quench our thirst. So refreshing. 



Stopped by to listen to some nice songs. 



And watched some old folks played chess. Up till the time this photo was taken, we still haven't buy any Chinese New Year clothes. Only bought that coconut juice. It was only at our last stop at OG did Mum managed to find two blouses and pants and I gladly buy for her since I didn't find any suitable type for myself.



After shopping at OG, we met up with my Dad and had dinner together. It was such a long time we had dinner together. On the way home, we even spotted a rainbow in the sky. Many people spotted it too as the rainbow photos floods FB and Twitter. Oh, and I just anyhow bought one dress and blouse at Central. Hoping the Dragon Year would be a great year for everyone! HUAT!  

2 comments:

Theeggyolks said...

Happy Chinese New Year! You have really great photos here! :D

ChewyJas said...

Thank you, Theeggyolks ! Have a happy and prosperous Chinese New Year :)