Sunday, November 13, 2011

[G+ Exclusive] Singapore Kindness Movement Campaign 2011

Today is World Kindness Day

This day was first introduced in 1998 by the World Kindness Movement. In  Singapore, our non-profit organisation known as Singapore Kindness Movement (SKM) aims to cultivate a kind and gracious Singapore. Together with a few other countries, we marked and celebrates today in our own way. 



This year slogan, "Say Thanks, Make Someone's Day!" is so sweet and simple. Let's continue to say this magical word or start using it if you have not already cultivate a habit of saying thanks to show your gratitude.    




This year, the campaign was widely publicize through the public (bus stops, Mrt, etc), schools and social media. Big thanks to Nuffnang that I got invited through the social media channel and to help promote this campaign together with a few other bloggers. Next year, they might even have plans to promote it in the workplace!




These are the yellow Gerbera daisies that we will be giving out free to the public to spread the message of World Kindness Day as well as raise awareness of this annual event. They are so bright and pretty, they have already cheered up my day before we went out there to spread the kindness, give out the flowers and paint the whole of Orchard yellow! 




Fellow pretty bloggers. 



Dr William Wan, the General Secretary of the Singapore Kindness Movement giving us an introduction speech. He is showing us this website: http://makesomeonesday.sg/default.aspx?aid=33 on his iPad. This website allows us to share our 'Thank you' message or kindness story and the little yellow Gerbera daisy will bloom. So the area with the most number of messages will have the biggest blossom. 

OMG, Is Singa pointing at me?! LOL.

As we moved out of ION Orchard, into the open gathering space, we saw  Singa the Courtesy Lion! Super cute, everyone went gaga for a moment and all just wanted to take photos with this mascot. Oh, that includes me as well. :X


❤ Singa 
Look at us, we were in our matching t-shirt! HAHAHA.   


We were in our matching t-shirt with the rest of the 500+ volunteers too! A sea of blue! 



The enthusiastic volunteers! 


Some as young as them~


Yay, Lydia (I hope I remember her name right) from Nuffnang giving out the daisies for us to distribute!



After getting our yellow daisies, we were ushered to the stage. Welcoming the guest of Honor - Dr. Yaacob Ibrahim our current Minister of Information, Communications and the Arts and also Dr William Wan again.


Oops, I guess Dr. Yaacob Ibrahim was not ready for my camera yet but that's a nice candid shot right? 


Launching the event. As water was poured into the flower pot, the yellow daisy begin to rise.



A photo of me and Peishi before we all dispersed~ I'm just so glad that I had her accompany throughout this whole event. We had much fun giving out the daisies and getting all kinds of different reactions from them. I think the most memorable would be her meeting with one genuinely kind-hearted ang mo who took out his wallet and wanting to pay for it even though it's for FREE! Not forgetting having her accompany for branch and shopping at Forever 21.



Three photos that I got to take with the public. Let me share a little bit about my experience. Initially, it was quite hard for us to give out our daisy to anybody at all because they are so many volunteers walking in front of us who already have given out to the public, and those people who walked towards our direction all already have the yellow daisy in their hands. For those who don't, it's just because they do not want to take. (Even the ice-cream man wasn't spread, one ice-cream man even shouted that he don't want to take :S ) It was until Peishi and I walked to the traffic light junction and we were stopped from crossing over, that we decided maybe we can go inside the shopping mall to give out our daisy. So my first daisy was given out to the cosmetic counter staffs inside Takashimaya. Thank you for working hard on a Sunday! :D Later on, we felt that it's not so nice to stay in the air-conditioned area while the rest are out there in the sun, so we cross over to the Lucky Plaza/Paragon area. That's where I met with a group of teenagers (second photo) who initiates to take photos with me! :) Wow! Thank you for being so friendly! After their positive reaction, I begin to be more pro-active too. Giving out daisies while saying "Happy World Kindness Day!" and "Have a nice day!" I'm super glad that alot of them did smile and returned back with a "Thank you!" For the last photo, I was actually being their camerawoman. They wanted to take a photo with Peishi, but after that, they also asked me to take with them. Thank you for asking me to be in the photo too. Of course we met with a few super unfriendly ones, who didn't bothered, don't want to take the flower (though it's Free, duh) and pretend never see us. For us, event should be over by 2pm but  because we were getting quite positive responses so we stayed and helped till about 3pm. By the time, Peishi and I was like so thirsty and tired. My shoulder was aching from carrying my heavy bag but it was all worth it. This kind of experience reminds me of doing flag day back in school days. 


A quote to end my post with,
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.
AESOP, The Lion and the Mouse  

No comments: