Sunday, May 12, 2013

[Happy Mother's Day] Mind Body Spirit Festival 2013 at Singapore Flyer

 
 It has been awhile since my mum and I went out together, as in just the two of us. Today being Mother's Day and having gotten two Day Pass tickets to the Mind Body Spirit Festival 2013, who else to bring along other than my mum to go with me?
 
My mum's a housewife and it's tough on her doing almost all the housework. She would sometime complained about having no public holidays like we working adults have. I felt heart pain for my mum as I hold her wrinkled and coarse hand in mine. So today, I'm gonna bring her out and pamper her to the max.
 
 The Mind Body Spirit Festival 2013 is held this weekend in celebration of Mother's Day and is a collaboration between Singapore Flyer and ICON events (organiser of the biggest yoga event in Singapore - Yoga By The Sea).
 
If you've been my regular blog follower, you would most probably have read about my previous blog post on the Workout in the Sky at Singapore Flyer, a preview of this Mind Body Spirit Festival. If you have just stumbled upon this post, you may wish to read the preview post too. Cause that post is all about Yoga in the capsule of the Singapore Flyer, but today, we are not going into the capsule.    
 
My Day Pass tickets allowed me entry to all workshops at Bayview Room, as well as the Mega Workshops at Greek Theatre and a Fitness Marathon at the Greek Theatre.
 
 
Photos taken inside the Bayview Room while we waited for the workshop to begin. There's my media wrist tag, the coupon voucher booklet to be used at the Singapore Food Trail at Singapore Flyer, the fan at the ceiling, The red carnation mum received from the organisers and of course mum and I. 
 
We initially aimed to be there for their first workshop which started at 8.30am but ultimately we only reached there around 11.30am. My fault cause I overslept, I'm really not a morning person! I super hate to go to bed early and wake up early.  
 
 
Here's Jacqueline Hargreaves, a Yoga Master sharing on how longevity can be achieved from through yoga.  
 
 
This is Gopinath Sathya Seilan (Shrichakrayoga). He is here to share with us how to explore the potential of our body and master it. Some facts sharing first, an adult human body has 206 bones and if you have read the bible, it would have say something like God took a rib from Adam to make Eve, so the saying that Women have an extra bone (rib) is derive from here. In a baby, the brain was first develop and than the spine. 
 
After some sharing, we begin with some breathing exercise. We were asked to sit in a meditating posture while we breath in and out 50 times, each breath is short and strong.
 
 
Next, it's time for some action! He invited two guys from the floor to demonstrate this simple exercise to us. With one palm on the wall, swing the leg 20 times to and fro and left and right. This is equivalent to running 2km and good point is it won't cause any harm to the ankle and knee. We tried that out and we were really panting after the swings.
 
     
After that we went back to our Yoga mat, and this is my mum with one complex cobra posture. The leg is not only bend up but twisted. Omg, I can't do this.
 
 
Really enjoyed his workshop. The instructor showed us simple ways to exercise without causing harm and can be done at home. He also encourage interactions from the floor by asking questions, sharing stories which makes his workshop interesting.
 
 
There was a 15 minute break before the next session begins so more photos. This time with my hair tie up. I'm glad that my hair is now long enough to be tied up and I have yet to get irritated by my long hair. Let's see this time I can keep my hair till what length. Heehee.
 
 
The next workshop on Stress Management through Meditation is by Hitesh (Sahaja Yoga Meditation)  
 

He first started the workshop with a presentation on what is stress and how to manage it with meditation.
 
 
Some of the slides. Meditation is all about the inner energy flowing in the body. It started at the base of the spine known as the sacrum bone and rises upwards.
 
Performed a series of mediation action, and it was not an easy task for me, because meditation can only be done well when a person's mind concentrate fully without any distraction. I am one person who have to move about, and my brain is like always thinking so I'm like opening my eyes to peek now and then and scratching here and there throughout the session. I'm not a person who can appreciate meditation.   
 
 
Next workshop called the YogaDivas CORE is by Sarah from YogaDivas.
 
 
That is really some arm balancing!! This pose is called the side plank. I totally enjoyed her workshop too because she would played some soothing music and after each difficult pose, she would always give us a big smile and asked us to smile too. Make me feel very relaxed. For your information, she is one of the teacher from YogaDivas and they are doing outdoor yoga. For more information, do visit http://www.yogadivas.biz/index.html
 
 
This is our hot instructor, Marisela Dominguez from Core Synergy Studio teaching us some Zumba Fitness!
 
 
Never take much photos because this is one moving and dancing Zumba session! It was so fun, it gets us sweating with all the dance moves. Zumba is all about partying oneself into good shape. Dancing to songs like Shakira's Hips don't lie, Buster Poindexter's Hot Hot Hot, Psy's Gangnum Style, and many songs. For that one hour, we really just let our hair down and dance. It's a Latin inspired and calorie burning workout. Loving it.   
 
 
A group photo taken from Core Synergy Studio Facebook Page. We were all happy students that day. I think I am quite interested to take up Zumba lesson.
 
 
Lastly, we went to the Greek Theatre to take a look at the Pilates Mass Workout by In the Loop and Pilates Fitness. Both mum and I have enough of workouts and was so exhausted so we just watched a while by the side.
 
It was truly an unforgettable workout Mother's Day! Thank you for the invitation! Keeping fit and staying healthy is the way to life.  ^^v
 


No comments: