Sunday, November 25, 2012

Day Trip to Jurong Bird Park

Rise and shine! 

Woke up to some birds chirping outside my window and that reminded me that I'm meeting my friends for an excursion to the JURONG BIRD PARK!!! It's been such a long time since I wake up so early on a Sunday for a free and easy outing with friends and I'm feeling just as happy as the chirping birds out there! Finally out for some fresh air! We met at Boon Lay MRT station and took bus 194 that is a loop service from Boon Lay interchange to Jurong Bird Park.  


Jurong Bird Park, when was the last time I came and visit the feather friends? It has been awhile. 


Nice group photo taken at the Penguin Coast signboard with Shu Qing, Jess baby and Felicia.  The Penguin Coast is the first attraction the moment you enter the bird park so there's no way anyone can miss it. It is also my favourite attraction point in the whole bird park. I seems to be deeply attracted to black and white animals like penguins and pandas! Lolol. Also, penguins are one of the rare species of birds that can't fly so that makes them very special. 


More photos taken outside before we enter to meet the little men in tuxedo!!! Hehe. So excited.    I think I can spend the whole morning looking at the penguins without feeling bored. Maybe I should change my job to be a penguin keeper but I'm super afraid of the cold temperature.


The skinny penguin on the left loves to swim and just came up from his swimming exercise. We had a panoramic view of about 100 penguins, across 6 species. They looked so cute especially when they started waddling about. Left, right, left right as they waddle. 

Interesting and sweet story about the penguins

Did you know that when a male penguin falls in love with a female penguin, he searches the entire beach just to find the perfect pebble to present to her! If accepted, the penguins become mates for life! Even if separated by storms, they still stay true and faithful to their first accepted mate searching forever for them. Awww!!! Sweet, sweet love! 


 Next destination is the Flamingo Pool! I always wonder how they could balance themselves on their long stick-like leg. Don't you think they look like they are presenting the yoga pose when they stand on one feet? 

Interesting facts about the flamingos

Flamingos have very long legs to wade in deeper waters and feed on food not available to other wading birds. Their upper legs are naked and this means not having to worry about wet feathers as they wade. 


 As we move on, we came to the playground with four swings. Just nice for the four of us, but as I'm wearing dress, it's quite inconvenient for this swing has a bar and we have to put our legs across the bar. I became the photographer for them instead. 


Marabou Stork is well known for its bald pink head! Not a very attractive sight huh. 


Saddle-billed Stork is easily identified by its long orange-red bill. Looks like some dangling earrings to me. Haha. Differentiate the male and female from the colours of their eyes. Black for males and yellow for females. 


The ducks just refuse to look at my camera. Pout like the duck. Hmph.


Inside the World of Darkness to see the owls. Can't take photos of them as the flashlight from the camera will hurt their eyes. I actually felt kinda sad here and I asked my friend, "that means they forever stuck in here and can't see the sunlight anymore?" Ok, I know owls only came out at night but if 24 hours all is night time, I think it's quite sad right?

Interesting facts about the owls

Owls cannot roll their eyes because they are fixed in the eye sockets. To see what's behind them, they have the amazing ability to rotate their head 270° and almost upside down.


Different species of the birds. 


Milky Stork also very cute! This is the first time I see birds bend their feet 90 degrees to rest.


Toco Toucan nest in the same hole for several years. The young has pads on its heels to cushion against the rough floor of the nest, which gradually disappear as they turn adulthood. 


Parakeet only hangs upside down when they are in a good mood. This is something new I learnt too. Like a bat. 


This colourful parrot don't really like to be fed. It likes to hold the container by itself and eat from there. 


This ostrich looks friendly! Hahaha.

Interesting facts about the Ostrich

The popular belief that ostriches bury their heads in the sand when they are alarmed is actually not been observed. The ostrich has the largest eyes of all living land animals. Each eye is almost the size of a tennis ball!!! Wow. Not only are their eggs big, their eyes also so big?!!


Interesting facts about the Cassowary

Helmeted head - The cassowary is the only flightless bird that is adapted to living in the rain forest. The casque on its head helps it to push through the forest vegetation without getting hurt. I swear it looks like a stone growing out on top of its head. :O:O:O


We went into the bird discovery centre and were amazed with the facts learnt there.


Elephant Bird of madagascar was the world's second largest bird. It was too huge to fly but has strong legs for running. It became extinct about 1,000 years ago. 


Hummingbird from the America are the world's smallest birds and measure no more than 7cm in length.  


Interesting facts! So if next time people call me bird-brained, should I be happy or sad?


Into the jungle jewels we go. we found the fruits laid out nicely on the branch but there's no birds around. Maybe cause it was drizzling a bit and they are finding shelter. 


Pelicans are intriguing birds that scoop fish for their meal. 

  
Swan lake. 


Big thanks to Shu Qing for the ticket. I really enjoyed myself with my friends during this trip. Learnt a lot, see a lot and appreciate a lot more.

No comments: