Thursday, January 07, 2010

There's beauty in a cracked pot

Just to share a little motivating story read from the papers.

"This is a story about a water bearer in India who had two large pots hung on the ends of a pole which he carried across his back. One of the pots had a crack in it and, by the time the water bearer reached his master's house, it would have leaked half of its contents.


For two years this went on daily, with the bearer delivering only 1.5 pots of water.
One day, the cracked pot said to the water bearer: "I am ashamed of myself, and I want to apologise to you."


"Why?" asked the bearer. "What are you ashamed of?"

The pot replied: "I have been able to deliver only half my load because this crack in my side causes water to leak out."

The water bearer, feeling sorry for the pot, said: "As we return to the master's house, I want you to notice the beautiful flowers along the path."

The pot did this and was cheered up a little by the sight.

The bearer said to the pot: "Did you notice that there were flowers only on your side of the path? That's because I have always known about your flaw, and I took advantage of it. I planted flower seeds on your side, and every day while we walked back from the stream, you've watered them. For two years, I have been able to pick the beautiful flowers to decorate my master's table. Without you being just the way you are, he would not have this beauty to grace his house."



This story illustrates that each of us has our own unique flaws. We're all cracked pots to a degree. But if we can look away from this and focus on the positive aspects of our situation, it will not only lift our self-esteem but also inspire the people around us."

--Geoff Tan

No comments: