Sunday, May 26, 2013

POCC : Power Over Cervical Cancer Event - Power to Enjoy Retail Therapy


Power Over Cervical Cancer (POCC) is a campaign that aims to make Singapore the country with the lowest incidence of cervical cancer. 

Do you know that cervical cancer is the 2nd most common cancer affecting women worldwide? Just in Singapore, 1 woman is diagnosed with cervical cancer every 2 days! O_O *Shocking* Ironically, this is the only woman’s cancer which can be prevented through vaccine. If you can prevent a cancer, why won't you? Together, we can have POWER Over Cervical Cancer and everyone needs to be aware of this.

In the month of May, there is actually two activities to support this POCC campaign.


 Power to Challenge

This is the stamp card for this challenge. In the card, it listed out the 7 retail merchants with their special deals for this POCC campaign. In order to be eligible to enter in the grand lucky draw on the key event day, participants have to get at least 4 stamps on the card.

Have actually thought of the 4 merchants that I wanted to visit and have even scheduled out a day trying to complete the stamp card but ended up facing a lot of challenges. 

First, when I called up one of the merchant, stating to make an appointment and mentioned POCC, they seems to be unaware of this campaign and asked me a lot of questions in return. Second, the location of one store was still listed at Orchard Central at some websites when it was already closed. So it was a wasted trip. A part of it is my fault for not checking from their official website but from other websites. Third, I have an issue with the items they want us to buy. Understand that purple is the campaign's theme colour but still finds it quite restricted.  

Anyway, just when I thought of giving up completing the card, JH commented on my photo that I posted on instagram saying she can help me get the LANEIGE stamp as she wanted to get the set. So, I felt a bit more motivated to try to complete the other 3 stamps. 

Up till the actual event day, I was still rushing, I went down to KissJane and bought a necklace but was told that the chop have been collected back the previous day. So they can only give me a pre-chop card. After that, Qing told me that the card submission will end at 5pm. It was already 4.30pm and I'm still left with 2 more stamps to collect, so no choice, but to give up and rushed down to the event venue.


Power to Enjoy Retail Therapy 

This actual event is held at Scape, Orchard, Level 2 Warehouse. 


The main purpose is to reach out to more ladies in the form of a mega sales to raise awareness. I was there at the actual event. It was so crowded and full of ladies at the sales racks, free pampering treats such as manicure, eyebrow shaping, etc. However, at the free consultation booth, there was just a few people there.   



5 Facts You Must Know

1) You can protect yourself against Cervical cancer by having regular pap smears and vaccination.

2) Most people would acquire HPV infections at some time in their life.

3) Cervical cancer is caused by a common virus called HPV. It can take 10-20 years for the infection to develop into cervical cancer.

4) Certain lifestyle factors (eg: smoking) increases the risk of cervical cancer as much as 10 times.

5) Regular pap smear testing combined with HPV vaccination can reduce your risk of cervical cancer by up to 94%. 

I remembered my colleagues telling me that they've already went for the vaccine and reminded me to go for it too. Anyway, it's three shots of the vaccine over six months and cost about $450 to $600 in all. This is really something not to be procrastinated. Time to visit their website to find a doctor which is nearest to me.   

For more information, please visit 

No comments: