Saturday, October 06, 2012

Red Bull Stratos - Mission to the Edge of Space Media Invites + iFly Singapore Experience

Yoz, what's up?! If you've been following my blog closely, you would have realized that I've been sharing about this Red Bull Stratos - Mission to the Edge of Space stories quite frequently this few days. If you have not, please read my first post about this mission here and also how the weather will affect this mission here before you continue reading this current post.  


Alright, by now, you should have like me, a brief idea that this guy called Felix Baumgartner is attempting to rewrite history with this mission. Today, my friends and I were being invited to attend the Red Bull Stratos - Mission to the Edge of Space Media Programme whereby we get to learn more on how this mission comes about and at the same time have a taste of the flying experience at Sentosa iFly ourselves! ^^

Joe Kittinger (USA) History Made.
Photo Credit : Red Bull Content Pool
In 1960, United States Air Force Captain Joe Kittinger set a record that nobody has been able to break. He was lifted off from Earth in a helium balloon called Excelsior III, experienced the effects of altitude on the human body and after rising to a height of 102,800 feet (31,333 meters), he jumped.  

Felix Baumgartner. History in the Making
Photo Credit : Red Bull Content Pool
Now 2012, this man called Felix Baumgartner who also has a very big dream, a dream to be on top of the World, who believes that he was born to fly is going to challenge his body limit and to break this record that nobody can break for 52 years. He will undertake a stratospheric balloon flight to more than 120,000 feet/36,576 meters and make a freefall jump. In the process, he could potentially be breaking four world records namely: 

- Reaching supersonic speed in freefall (breaking the sound barrier)
- Highest manned balloon flight
- Longest freefall
- Freefall from highest altitude


This mission is greatly funded and brought to us by Red Bull, the number 1 energy drink in the world. It's produced in Austria and is a product of Europe. They actually have about 534 athletes in 97 sports/disciplines and produces more than 800 Red bull Events and Projects each year including the Formula 1. Felix Baumgartner is one of the Red Bull Athlete. He has previously set World records for the highest (KL) and lowest (Rio) BASE jumps.

Felix Baumgartner in his space suit holding an emergency box.
Photo Credit : Red Bull Content Pool
So how did this mission came about? It's not just because Felix Baumgartner says he wants to fly and the next day they just approve it and go ahead with the flying. There is actually benefits for the Science community too. As more and more people talks about wanting to go to space, they need to find out what if emergency happens up there and they have to come down to Earth? What is the fastest way to do so? What is the limit of the human body? So the key benefits of this mission are as follows: 

- To aid development of a new generation of space suits including enhanced mobility and visual clarity, as well as the latest innovations in parachute systems and other equipment, to lead to passenger crew exit from space.
- To aid development of protocols for exposure to high altitude/high acceleration
- To aid exploration of the effects of supersonic acceleration and subsequent deceleration on the human body


Enjoying the photo taking session with friends - Jessie, Shu Qing and Terence. We were also served delicious refreshments before we went down to try for ourselves the feeling of flying! 


I was actually quite nervous before this fly. I kept thinking of the WHAT IFs. What if I flip over inside? What if the wind is not strong enough for me? What if I fly too high and can't get down? What if this, what if that.

   
And then, I see how the professional do the stunts inside the capsule. Upside down somemore! OMG! I felt giddy already! Will I vomit out the food that I just ate? 
  

Then, I thought to myself, since I've come this far, why not just give it a try since there's companionship by the rest of the bloggers. It shouldn't be that bad. 

    
Danny's our instructor for the day. He was a very friendly and skillful (which we later saw with our own eyes how he fly) instructor. He thought us some of the hand signs that he will be using to communicate with us later in the capsule and also ask each and everyone of us to go up to the front to have a feeling of this position. Yes, later we will be in the face down position as if there's a bed below us. Both Shu Qing and I felt back pain even after this short while of posing already. 

  
Yeah, I'm a flyer!!! Never will I imagine myself doing this. 


Before we enter the capsule, we have to get ourselves ready in attire. No spectacles and accessories allowed. Suit - Checked, Ear Plugs - Checked, Helmat - Checked and off we go. 


HAHAHA! See me in action! This is the only photo I've got of me inside the capsule so I better edit it to make it special. Suddenly thought of singing this song, "I don't need a parachute, Danny if I got you, Danny if I got you, I don't need a parachute, you gonna catch me, you gonna catch if I fall down down down."  

The iFly Experience

We were each given 45 seconds to be in the capsule for two round. William was the first to volunteer to go in. Everyone cheered and clapped for him cause his flying is quite steady for first timer. Shu Qing, Terence and I were somewhere in the middle of the queue. The first round, was only a testing trial of the position and the feeling of the wind inside. After I came out, my left hip bone felt so painful, I couldn't really stand properly. Lucky Terence gave up his seat to me for both round. Felt much better after sitting down. It was the second round when we went in the capsule again that we really fly high in the capsule with the guide of the instructor. I remember the instructor keep asking me to straighten my legs and he also turned me around inside the capsule. Basically, for first timer like us who just want to experience flying, we just have to do nothing, relax and let the instructor guide us up. It's only those that needs to performed stunts that needs to move their body. A really awesome experience not to be missed!!    


Shu Qing, Danny the instructor and I after the flight! Yes, we survived and had fun! ^^

**************************************

Space Suit Development. Photo Credit to Red Bull Content Pool.
Overall, my iFly experience is nothing compared to the great mission Felix is going to go through. The moment his feet is out of the capsule, that's it. And do you know that the Stratosphere (I only know ozone layer) is the second layer of the earth atmosphere and it is an inhospitable environment for any living creatures. Thus, if without a space suit, a person's body exposing to this vacuum environment will be dead in 14 seconds!

Once again, thank you Red Bull Singapore for giving us the opportunity to fly!

Remember to watch the live action of Felix Baumgartner on 9th Oct 12, 8pm at 

Their YouTube Channel : http://www.youtube.com/redbull
Their Official Website:  http://www.redbullstratos.com/

No comments: