Sunday, November 01, 2015

[GEWR] Great Eastern Women's Run 2015

10th edition of Great Eastern Women’s Run attracts record turnout of 17,000!

Photo Credit : Great Eastern Women's Run 2015 - Minister Grace Fu flagging off the 10km category
The Great Eastern Women's Run broke the record for he largest number of participants in an all-women run in Asia. Guest-of-Honour, Ms Grace Fu, Minister for Culture, Community and Youth, flagged off the 10km category and also joined in the race.

Photo Credit : Great Eastern Women's Run 2015 - Minister Grace Fu with fellow 10km runners
Commented Minitster Grace Fu, "I'm very happy to see that the scale of the Run has increased to 17,000 this year. I think Great Eastern Women's Run has been a very attractive event for women, and I'd like to encourage women to adopt a healthy lifestyle because that will really help build a much better life for them. We should also like to see that more corporates step up, to not just promote healthy living but also to do a good social cause. With the efforts of the runners and Great Eastern, a substantial amount was raised for three charities. I think this is a wonderful idea of collaboration of people, corporates and the social sector. We hope more will come forward so that Singaporeans will enjoy an active lifestyle and do social good for the country as well."

With my running blogger friends, Tracy and Jessie before the race starts
I still remembered how last year I was there at the race village as a supporter for Tracy and Jessie. Feeling their accomplishment and satisfaction after completing the 5km race, I tell myself I want to give it a try too. So this year marks my first year in joining the Great Eastern Women's Run, 5km race.

Exclusive Microfibre Gym Bag with Shoe Compartment
Participants were very well trained and taken care of. Fringe activities and training runs were organised but I only have time to attend one of it, which is the K-pop dance class. The team from Great Eastern Women's Run 2015 really took care of me as I have my race pack delivered to my work place with a short encouraging note.
Goodies inside the Race Pack
Beside the many goodies that were inside the race pack, runners were also entitled to the Adidas Race Tee (worth $39) and an additional Adidas Memento Tee (worth $45).

Decorating my pink tutu
For the very first time, participants can choose to purchase a tutu which comes in four different colours of Pink, Blue, Yellow and Purple, in support of three women and children-related charities - Breast Cancer Foundation, Community Chest (Children with Special Needs) and SingHealth Duke-NUS OBGYN Academic Clinical Program. I decorated my pink tutu with pins that I have collected over the past few years. The run raised $120,000 for women and children-related causes.

Photo Credit : Great Eastern Women's Run 2015 The inaugural 100m Princess Dash
Another highlight ought to be the inaugural Princess Dash. 500 girls aged three to nine years in their tutus participated in a 100-metre dash. 

Selfie before the race
For this race, I didn't really train much but I was more well prepared mentally probably because I've just completed the 5km DC Justice League Run not too long ago. For the two water points, I only stopped at one to cool myself down and I continued running + brisk walking till the ending point.

With Lynette who is in her ballerina theme
So glad to see Lynette. She's been keeping in touch with me through whatsapp just so we could get a photo together after the race with our medal. Yes, it's a must, even for just that short while!

Reunited with Tracy and Jessie
Went to find Tracy and Jessie at the hospitality tent where we were treated to muffins, bananas, hotdog buns and drinks by Ice Mountain, 100 Plus and Magnolia.

Biting our Gold Medal
Jessie suggested this comical pose of us biting our gold medals. Hehe.

Solo OOTD shot with the finisher medal
Running is an addiction, once you started going to races like this, you can't stop. What motivates is to try to get better timing after each run.


I was super happy and surprise that my nett timing for this run has shown much improvement from my last 5km run. I really look forward to more exciting run and I encourage those who have not joined before to join me next year. If I can do it, so can you!

XOXO

No comments: